One year ago today, 4th & Mayor went public and became a popular, fun and simple Foursquare app for Windows Phone. I’m glad to have launched it, have learned a lot along the way, and am excited that people continue to rave, enjoy, and share the app with their friends. (Also, version 3.3 has been published to the Windows Phone Marketplace today!)
App’s in Nokia’s March App Madness!
This would be a great time to vote for the app in Nokia’s March App Madness, btw [PDF for your brackets]! Please keep watch as new rounds approach.
Follow & Interact
4th & Mayor Today
Today, 4th & Mayor is:
- Used by over 60,000 people, most every single day
- Over 35,000 people have push notifications enabled, receiving check-in toast notifications, leaderboard live tiles, and other useful updates from Foursquare
- Of users who’ve opted into sharing usage information, the app has been used to check-in over 7,650,000 times
- The app’s been run over 8,000,000 times
- December 2010: Development of the app started in my spare time.
- March 2011: The official Foursquare app for Windows Phone stopped working
- March 20, 2011: 4th & Mayor launched as a free app on the Windows Phone Marketplace (blog post introducing it here), supporting great new features from Foursquare version 3 that had released the week before for iPhone and other platforms
- June 28, 2011: 4th & Mayor v2 launched, supporting Windows Phone Mango and adding great new features
- November 17, 2011: v3 launched with check-in tiles, live tile studio, fast app switching, and more (post)
- March 20, 2012: v3.3 anniversary edition launched, adding significant performance improvements and corrected some GPS accuracy issues
- Soon: Version 3.4 is on its way and will add a lot more features for international users, including more map choices such as OpenStreetMap and Google Maps, plus business hours support.
The Future of 4th & Mayor
Although I’ve left the Windows Phone team (that was my day job), I continue developing updates, adding features, and am looking to also offer 4th & Mayor on other platforms such as Windows 8 tablets. The cloud infrastructure for the app is especially interesting and a place I’m actively investing and adding features. Stay tuned for details!
Interested in localization?
I’ve finally started to begin the localization process, in the past I’ve reached out to the community for this – so if you’d like to get it to your language, contact me at some point to be added to the localization list.
Thanks for using and enjoying my app! Please recommend it to your friends and rate it well if you love it, otherwise, let me know!
4th & Mayor